What To Do If You Smell Gas...
- If you smell a faint odor of gas, look for a pilot light that's out. If you see one, turn the appliance off and open the window—top and bottom—to let gas escape. Wait five minutes before relighting the pilot.
- Don't turn electrical switches on or off, or use a flashlight or telephone, because an electric spark could ignite the gas and cause an explosion.
- If you still smell gas around the appliance after turning it off and ventilating the room, do not relight it. If the gas odor is strong and you think there is a leak, leave immediately. Go to a neighbor’s home and call Rocky Mount Public Utilities at (252) 467-4800.
Automated Interactive Voice Response SystemRocky Mount Public Utilities has improved our Automated Interactive Voice Response System to assist customers more rapidly! Anyone calling (252) 467-4800 will be connected to the automated interactive voice response system. You will be prompted to listen to the following options for faster service:
- To report an electrical power outage
- To report a gas, electrical, or water or sewer emergency, including a gas leak
- To speak to customer service or inquire about your utility bill
- For gas, electric, or water and sewer service calls or to report a street light out
- To release an inspection
- For street maintenance
- For garbage or street side pick-up
- Community Code
This system will allow a more efficient way to report problems or request service. This will also help identify problems and repair them in a timely manner.
If The Power Goes Out...First look outside and see if the outage has included your neighbors. If it hasn't, the problem may be within your home. check your fuse box or circuit breaker panel to see if you can locate the problem. If the neighboring houses are dark too, look to see if there are any trees or branches on the lines, or if there are downed wires, flashes of light, or any other signs of trouble. Don't touch or attempt to move any electric lines or trees or any other obstacles in contact with electric lines. Report the outage to Rocky Mount Public Utilities by calling (252) 467-4800.
You Can Help!When an outage occurs or lasts for an extended period of time, a heavy burden is placed on the system at the moment the power is restored. This high demand can cause an overload on the system, and you could lose power once again. Follow these few simple tips to be sure power is restored safely and effectively:
- Turn everything off in your home except one light.
- Make sure the surface elements on your range have been turned off.
- Turn off any heat-producing appliances as well because, if left on, they can pose a serious fire hazard after the power has been restored.
- When the light you've left on glows, you'll know the power has been restored.
- Over the next 30-60 minutes, slowly switch your appliances back on and gradually return thermostats to their normal settings.
- Leave a porch light on so that our repair crews know when your service has been restored.