Permitting: Permit forms are available in the table shown at right. The Inspections office is located at 331 S. Franklin St., 2nd floor.
Interpretations: Each inspector handles interpretations or technical inquiries. Justin Floyd, Inspections Administrator, handles detailed interpretations. For all other interpretations you may contact the North Carolina Department of Insurance for an informal interpretation. Formal interpretations must be requested in writing.
New Code Books: The new code books are available online at www.iccsafe.com or to walk-in customers at the NC DOI Office in Raleigh located at 322 Chapanoke Road.
Building: Inquiries regarding the building code or a building inspection will be taken by office staff and directed to the appropriate inspector at 252-972-1110 or 252-972-1119.
- To check the status of your plan review, you may call the Inspection Department at 252 =-972-1110 or 252-972-1119.
- To change the occupancy of a commercial building, please contact the Inspections Desk at 252-972-1110 or 252-972-1119 to speak with office staff. The building may have to be brought up to code depending on the new use of the building.
On new construction a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued for completed sites by the Inspection Division after all other applicable departments have signed off on their approval If residential accessory structures are over twelve feet in any dimension, a building permit is required. If upon inspection, conformance with the required regulations cannot be determined, an as built signed and sealed plot plan designed by a registered professional may be required by the inspector before final approval. Projects in a flood hazard area will be reviewed to ensure they meet all flood development requirements.
Floodplain Administration: Any development, including buildings or other structures, filling, grading, or paving, requires a Floodplain Development Permit. Permit applications are reviewed by the Floodplain Manager for compliance with all floodplain regulations.
Building Permit Expirations: Note that all job sites must obtain the first inspection within six months of permit issuance and will expire after one year from the last inspection if final has not been obtained.
Review Schedule: Both Residential and Commercial Construction plans will be assigned and reviewed in the order in which they are received. If a contractor has several plans for review, upon submittal please specify to the Inspections staff if there is an order of priority for your plans. We will make every attempt to accommodate your request, but cannot adjust the priority of one set of plans over plans currently under review for other contractors.
INSTRUCTION FOR APPLYING FOR A PERMIT
- Download and print out the form, fill in out, then fax or mail it in.
- The following areas are better defined to assist you in completing the form:
- Contractor's estimate - Enter the amount of the construction cost minus the cost of the electrical, plumbing, mechanical and insulation
- Type of construction - Residential will be Type VI. Type V and Type VI are common for small commercial. If unsure, call John Perry at (252) 972-1113 for assistance
- Building area - Add the exterior walls to obtain this. Do not include decks, porches, garages, carports and patios. These must be added separate. Be sure to enter the total square footage in the Total area in sq. ft. since the cost of the permit is based on square footage
- Owner/Applicant Signature - Sign the form and fax or mail it to the following:
- Fax: (252) 972-1590
- Mail: Permit Clerk
P.O. Box 1180
Rocky Mount, NC 27802-1180
- The permit cannot be processed without payment. The forms on this page are applications ONLY. You will be contacted usually the next working day if your application is approved and you may come to Inspection Services, located on the second floor of City Hall, to obtain your permit and make payment. NO WORK MAY COMMENCE WITHOUT HAVING FIRST OBTAINED THE PERMIT. If you are a licensed contractor who is billed by the City, you will be contacted when your permit has been issued.