- Adobe PDF format. Select the form of your choice in the list shown to the right, then click on the PDF icon. Print out the form, fill it in, then fax it or mail it to the address shown below.
- Interactive on-line form. Select the form of your choice in the list shown to the right, then click on the O/L icon. Fill out the form, click the Submit button, and your application will be transmitted directly to us for processing.
INSTRUCTION FOR APPLYING FOR A PERMIT
- Download and print out the form, fill in out, then fax or mail it in.
- The following areas are better defined to assist you in completing the form:
- Contractor's estimate - Enter the amount of the construction cost minus the cost of the electrical, plumbing, mechanical and insulation
- Type of construction - Residential will be Type VI. Type V and Type VI are common for small commercial. If unsure, call Robert Wells at (252) 972-1113 for assistance
- Building area - Add the exterior walls to obtain this. Do not include decks, porches, garages, carports and patios. These must be added separate. Be sure to enter the total square footage in the Total area in sq. ft. since the cost of the permit is based on square footage
- Owner/Applicant E-mail Address - If you are submitting this form on-line, enter your e-mail address in this area. Otherwise, sign the form and fax or mail it to the following:
- Fax: (252) 972-1590
- Mail: Permit Clerk
P.O. Box 1180
Rocky Mount, NC 27802-1180
- The permit cannot be processed without payment. The form on the Internet is an application only. You will be contacted usually the next working day if your application is approved and you may come to Inspection Services, located on the second floor of City Hall, to obtain your permit and make payment. NO WORK MAY COMMENCE WITHOUT HAVING FIRST OBTAINED THE PERMIT. If you are a licensed contractor who is billed by the City, you will be contacted when your permit has been issued.
Contact phone numbers:
Administrative Clerk (252) 972-1109 Secretary (252) 972-1110 Supervisor of Inspections (252) 972-1112 Plans Review Coordinator (252) 972-1113 Zoning Officer (252) 972-1114 Building Inspector (252) 972-1115 Mechanical Inspector (252) 972-1224 Supervisor of Field Operations (252) 972-1117 Electrical Inspector (252) 972-1339 Plumbing Inspector (252) 972-1140
Inspector office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Afternoon hours are not always able to be observed due to work load. Each inspector has voice mail so you may leave him/her a message and they will return your call as soon as possible.
We have a 24 inspection line that can be reached at (252) 972-1350. Be sure to include the address of the inspection, the permit number, the contractor who is requesting the inspection, and the type of inspection requested. We operate on a next day inspection so request left on the 24 hour line will be handled the next working day. Failure to provide adequate information for the inspection request will void the request so please provide the above information at a minimum.