Sign up for the City Beat email newsletter! Enter your email address:


Q. What zoning district is my property located in?
A. To check the zoning of property, contact staff directly.

Q. What are the minimum required building setbacks from my property lines?
A. Setbacks are determined by the zone of the property. Setbacks are listed in table 6.1 of the Land Development Code.

Q. Is my intended use permitted on my property?
A. The permitted use table is listed in the Land Development Code in table 5.1 and 5.2.

Q. Is my property located in a Historic District?
A. The City of Rocky Mount has three local historic districts (Central City, Edgemont & Rocky Mount Mills) which are regulated by the Historic Preservation Commission. You may contact staff directly for this information.

Q. What is a Certificate of Appropriateness, and when is one required?
A. A Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) is a permit granted by the HPC for approval of construction or modifications to a structure in a local historic district. A COA may be required for exterior modifications or construction of a structure in local historic district.

Q. What is a Special Use Permit?
A. A Special Use Permit (SUP) is a permit granted by the Board of Adjustment. In the case where a SUP is granted, specific criteria must be met and approved by the Board in granting a SUP.

Q. Does my property have any zoning restrictions?
A. Certain properties have been designated by City Council with conditional uses. This means that certain limitations and restrictions have been placed on the property. If your property has a conditional use on it, you should contact staff to find out the specifics of the conditions.

Q. How do I file/place a zoning enforcement complaint?
A. To file/place a zoning enforcement complaint, you need to contact a member of the Planning Division staff. You must provide the location and nature of the complaint and you do not have to give your identity.

Q. Is my property located in a flood zone?
A. The city has three designated flood zones:

  • Zone AE is the 100 year flood zone.
  • Zone AEFW is in the floodway.
  • Zone X is outside a flood zone.

You may check if your property is located in one of these zones by going to NC or by contacting a member of staff.

Q. Can I have a Home Occupation?
A. Certain uses are allowed as Home Occupations and are as follows: accountant, barber/beauty shop (not more than one chair), architect, home childcare, engineer, lawyer, and medical practitioners. Home Occupations are subject to additional requirements, and you may contact a member of staff for those specifics.

Q. Where can I operate a group home?
A. Family Care and Group Homes are permitted by right in any of our residentially zoned districts, as well as OI and B-4 zones; however, neither a family care home nor a group home for developmentally disabled adults shall be permitted to be located within a seven hundred fifty (750) foot radius of any existing family care home; group home for developmentally disabled adults; group care facility; shelter for women or families, with or without children; transient shelter, or rehabilitation facility (as classified under the previous LDC).