How to apply for employment with the City of Rocky Mount:
- Check the Job Opportunities Bulletins posted in the Human Resources office or on the City's website for an available position which fits your education, experience or career interests.
- Complete a separate Application for Employment form on each position for which you wish to be considered and return it to the Human Resources Department by the application deadline. The application must be completed with all required information. Resumes may be included, but are not accepted in lieu of the application form. Supplemental documents and educational transcripts may be required for certain positions.
- Included with each application is a Pre-employment Data form used for demographic data collection and statistical reporting to EEOC. The Pre-employment Data form is confidential and is filed separately from your Application for Employment. The demographic data is not provided to personnel responsible for making hiring decisions.
- Your application will be reviewed and evaluated based on the knowledge, skills and abilities required in the position for which you applied. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered for all positions.
- After all applications for a position are reviewed, the best qualified applicants are contacted for personal interviews to further evaluate their qualifications for the job. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted via telephone or mail, usually within two weeks after the application deadline.
- Those applicants whose qualifications and experiences best suit the position are referred to the hiring supervisor, who will conduct further interviews. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take written exams, demonstrate communications skills and/or participate in other job-related assessments.
- From the group of qualified applicants who are referred, the hiring supervisor will select the individual who best suits the needs and requirements of the position and the department.
- All applicants not selected for the position will be notified by letter that the vacancy has been filled.
- Candidates selected for hire must pass a pre-employment drug screening test. Certain positions require a medical examination by a physician.
- Applicants may be required to have specific licenses, permits or certifications, as a condition of employment.
- There is no residency requirement for most City positions. Police & Fire employees must live within 50 miles of downtown Rocky Mount. Department Heads and designated senior management positions may require City residency.
- All employees must validate their right to work in the U.S. in accordance with federal immigration regulations within three days after hire.
Employment applications are accepted in the Human Resources Department, First Floor, City Hall. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.
Applications can be mailed to:
Human Resources Department
City of Rocky Mount
P.O. Box 1180
Rocky Mount, N.C. 27802