New Services


The Business and Collections Services staff wants to help make your move to Rocky Mount as smooth as possible. However, not all areas of the community have all of our services. We can help you determine the services available at the location where you are moving.


If you are starting a business in Rocky Mount, we are glad to have you join our business community.

  • Before your utility services are connected, you will need to have a Certificate of Occupancy from our Inspections Office.

  • If a Certificate of Occupancy has not been issued, you will need to request a temporary utility application from Inspections.

  • Once you have the temporary utility application, you will need to see a Customer Service Representative who will determine the amount of the utility deposit. Your deposit amount is based on two months of estimated usage.

  • We offer three options for payment of commercial deposits: cash, irrevocable letter of credit, or surety bond.

  • Unfortunately, we are currently unable to accept your application for commercial utilities via e-mail, fax or Internet, but we will be glad to assist you in getting the application process started.

If you would like to get more information about the utility services for your commercial location, you can contact a Customer Service Representative at 252-972-1250.

Deceased Customers

It is unlawful to retain or maintain a utility account in the name of a deceased person. The account must be closed and a new account opened in the name of the responsible party (i.e., the surviving spouse or family member, an estate or trust, etc.). In addition to the items listed above, you may be asked to provide copies of:

  • Death certificate

  • Court documents

  • Testamentary letter

  • Any other affidavit or document from the court that verifies that an estate exists and/or designates the executor's name and address

A deposit may still be required. Please speak with a customer service representative at 252-972-1250 or customerservice@rockymountnc.gov