COUNCIL MEETING AGENDAS
|Action Agenda - July 23, 2012||Go to Main Page|
A = APPROVAL
AD = APPROVAL DENIED
NA = NO ACTION
D = ACTION DEFERRED
R = REFERRED
C = REFERRED TO COMMITTEE
T = TABLED
RA = REMOVED FROM AGENDA
I = INTRODUCED
RW = REQUEST WITHDRAWN
ACTION AGENDA FOR A REGULAR MEETING OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF ROCKY MOUNT HELD MONDAY, JULY 23, 2012 AT 4:00 P.M. IN THE GEORGE W. DUDLEY CITY COUNCIL CHAMBER OF THE FREDERICK E. TURNAGE MUNICIPAL BUILDING.
1. Meeting Called to Order by the Mayor.
3. Roll Call by the City Clerk.
A~ 4. Approval of the Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the City Council Held July 9, 2012.
5. Presentation and Recognition:
a. Presentation of Certificate of Achievement and Plaque to Amy Staton, Director of Finance, and the City’s Department of Finance for Receipt of Award from The Government Finance Officers Association for Excellence in Financial Reporting (18th consecutive year).
R*~ 6. Petitions to be Received from the Public.
Note: Citizens shall state their name and address for public record and limit presentations to three (3) minutes. Time will be monitored
Andrew Hedgepeth requested that that he be allowed to pay the rates in effect in FY 2011-2012 instead of the newly enacted FY2012-2013 rates for internet cafes since he was in the process of preparing to open an internet café when the new fees were adopted.
*Referred to the City Manager’s Office.
7. CONSENT AGENDA:
A. Consideration of the Following Request for Temporary Street Closing:
1. From the Mayview Community to Close Chase Street/Chase Court from 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 7, 2012 for a cookout to celebrate National Night Out.
B. Consideration of Adoption of the Following FY2012-2013 Ordinance Amendments:
Budget Ordinance Amendments:
1. Appropriates funds contributed in FY 2012 for planned improvements to the Sports Complex softball and baseball fields ($22,092);
2. Appropriates additional revenue from financing proceeds ($108,000) and Sewer Fund reserves ($180,000) for the River Drive Outfall Project (total $288,000); and
3. Appropriates private reimbursement funds for Ford’s Colony Construction Plans ($32,000).
Grant Project Ordinance Amendment:
1. Appropriates revenues from the Occupancy Tax Fund to increase budget for construction of concessions and support building for Sports Complex Soccer Fields/Project SOCCR ($80,000).
C. Consideration of the Following Tax Releases and/or Refunds:
Schedule A – taxes under $100 approved for release and/or refund by the City Manager (acknowledge receipt of report);
Schedule B – taxes over $100 recommended for release and/or refund by the City Council (approve release or refund).
D. Consideration of Resolution Approving Settlement of FY 2011-2012 Taxes Due and Collected and Authorizing the Collector of Revenue to Collect Fiscal Year 2012-2013 Taxes.
A~ Recommended Action: Approve Consent Agenda (inclusive of adoption of Ordinances and Resolution).
8. Consideration of Amendments to Fees and Charges/Existing Policies as Follows:
o Department of Engineering
• Policy No. X.2.3 Engineering Traffic Fees
(revision to street sign fees)
o Department of Parks and Recreation
• Policy No. X.4.4 Parks & Recreation Facility Fees
(revision clarifying non-resident fees)
• Policy No. X.4.5 Special Recreation Services
(revision corrects Museum non-resident admission rates)
• Policy No. X.4.6 Parks and Recreation Swimming Pool Fees
(revision claries that daily pass fee only applies to Denton Street Pool and corrects pool rental rates for non-residents)
A~ Recommended Action: Adopt Resolution Amending Administrative Fees and Charges Listed
9. Consideration of Resolution and Agreement for Deposit Account Relative to the City’s Investment Account with BB&T.
A~ Recommended Action: Adopt Resolution and Agreement for Deposit Account (designates City Manager Charles W. Penny and Director of Finance Amy Staton as the City’s Representatives.)
10. Consideration of 1) Ordinance Amending Chapter 6 of the City Code Entitled “Cemeteries”; and 2) Resolution Amending Administrative Policy No. X.4.2 Entitled “Policy: Cemetery Fees” (updates language and adds exception for waiver of fees for opening and closing of grave for stillborn babies if parents are deemed indigent).
A~ Recommended Action: 1) Adopt Ordinance; and 2) Adopt Resolution Approving Policy.
11. Consideration of Petition Submitted by Lamont Wiggins, on behalf of Shaq’s After Dark, Requesting the Closing of Mercedes Street.
A~ Recommended Action: 1) Acknowledge Receipt of Petition; and 2) Adopt Resolution Declaring Intent to Close (schedules public hearing for September 10, 2012).
12. Consideration of the Following Assessment Contracts:
a. Dennis E. Kline, Jr. and Shawn P. Kline for Water Service at 1842 Singletree Lane ($1,315 water tap, meter and capacity fees; $2,500 main fee – total assessment = $3,815);
b. Barbara C. Harris for Sewer Service at 3340 S. Church Street ($1,250 tap fee; $75 capacity fee and $2,700 main fee – total assessment = $4,025).
A~ Recommended Action: Approve Contracts and Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to Execute
the Same on Behalf of the City.
13. Consideration of 1) Agreement with Rocky Mount WEH LP (Halle) Regarding Completion of Engineering Plans for Utilities and Roadway Improvements at Ford’s Colony; and 2) Proposal from Stocks Engineering, P.A. for Civil Engineering Design and Survey Services for Ford’s Colony at Rocky Mount, Section 4.
A~ Recommended Action: 1) Approve Agreement with Rocky Mount WEH LP (Halle) and
Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to Execute the Same on Behalf of the City; and 2) Approve Letter of Agreement with Stocks Engineering, P.A. and Authorize the Director of Engineering to Execute Same on Behalf of the City.
14. Consideration of Supplemental Municipal Agreement with the North Carolina Department of Transportation (WBS Element: 40129) Relative to the Widening of Kingston Avenue (adds water and sewer main relocation work – $400,000; total cost of project = $1,052,955 + 5% contingency of $52,650).
A~ Recommended Action: Approve Agreement and Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to Execute the Same on Behalf of the City.
15. Consideration of Bid from Turn-Key Contractors of Rocky Mount for the New Soccer Facility for the City of Rocky Mount @ negotiated fee of $255,000 ($62,777 less than original bid price).
A~ Recommended Action: 1) Award Bid as Recommended; and 2) Authorize the Mayor and City Clerk to Execute the Bid Contract on Behalf of the City.
NA~ 16. Appointments:
a. Board of Adjustment – (1) appointment – Ward 3 – term expires 6/2015 – Council;
b. Historic Preservation Commission – (1) appointment – term expires 6/2013;
c. Human Relations Commission – (2) Council appointments – Ward 2 – term expires 6/2013; Ward 3 – term expires 6/2015;
d. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission – (3) appointments – 2 terms expire 6/2014; 1 term expires 6/2015;
e. Mayor’s Commission on Persons with Disabilities – (3) appointments – terms expire 6/2014 - Mayor and Council; and
f. Utility Service Review Board – Ward 3 – term expires 6/2013.
17. Closed Session:
a. Attorney-Client Privilege (backup information furnished under separate cover).